Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Our Luck With Moving

It's relatively safe to say that we haven't had the best luck when it comes to moving. No matter how much I plan and stress, there is always something out of my control that goes horribly wrong. So far, this PCS has only been overly annoying and inconvenient. Just wait until we start opening up our boxes though. I can almost guarantee that 67% of the furniture will be smashed and our most prized possessions will be missing.

Each move has gotten progressively worse, so let's start from the beginning, shall we. When I moved to Georgia, I was totally unaware that I was supposed to keep my jewelry and expensive stuff with me. Naive, I know. Never trust a stranger with your jewelry. Duh. Anyway, I didn't have a lot of furniture or anything, so all of my belongings made it, and in one piece. Except for my jewelry. Oh yeah, and the Christmas cash that I had stashed. I still feel like such an idiot for making that rookie mistake.

The move from Georgia to Missouri actually wasn't all that bad, with one very large exception. All of our boxes and furniture made it without any significant damage and actually, we didn't even unpack the majority of the boxes. Easy peasy. Aside from the part that we were robbed at one of the hotels that we stopped at for the night. The crooks got away with over $12,000 worth of stuff, but we were lucky to have our renter's insurance cover a good chunk of the loss.

Source
And now Hawaii. You may have read last week, that our stuff was still in Missouri, two whole months after we had left. It's supposed to be arriving this week, but it's already Wednesday, and we haven't heard from them, so we'll see. In the meantime, we have some loaner furniture from the housing office. We were supposed to move in yesterday, but the house wasn't ready, so we'll finally be moving in today. I can't even begin to describe how excited I am to finally cook my own dinner.

Not long after signing our lease, we also learned that our housing allowance will be going up by $400 dollars next year. Craziness! Since we live on post though, all of that money is automatically deducted by housing.

Tomorrow our sweet puppy will also be here and I'm so excited to have him back! It might be the best thing to happen all week. I can't wait to bring him home. Poor guy is going to have a long day of travel. I need to get some shopping done today so that I can spoil him after he arrives.  Hopefully, since he sleeps a lot, he won't have a hard time adjusting to the time difference.

Do you have any nightmare moving stories?

Love, Alex

Visit my wonderful sponsor:

10 comments:

  1. Yikes! You HAVE had bad luck PCSing. Poor thing! I hoping for you that all your stuff comes still in tact and nothing is damaged! Yay for moving in today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving sucks. We just finished negotiating with claims on our last move. The only thing that is missing is a crate of car washing items so I consider it a success...except for the damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I'm so scared to go through my first PCS with my husband in a couple weeks! We decided to do a partial DITY (the military is moving his stuff from Korea) and we're doing all my stuff. (I don't count the PCS we did together to go to Arizona because all my stuff was left in tact.) I'm happy to hear your sweet pup is coming soon! I'm sure the mood will lighten once he comes home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had some interesting moves. Growing up as a military brat really helped me when it came to my first Army PCS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the crummy move! I recently stumbled onto your blog and I've really been enjoying it. My sister and her family moved to Hawaii with the military less than a year ago. Their move was pretty crazy too…something about moving stuff across the ocean and not having housing I think, haha. Hope all goes smoothly from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate moving. Period. I'm glad you're getting into your house at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness! We have only had to file a claim once with a moving company but knock on wood we have had good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh moving!!!! I would say that 3 out of our 5 moves have been pretty good. No issues. But these last 2 have been not so fun. I really hope all your stuff gets there in one piece. Claims is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uggg... moving! One of my favorite things to do!!! NOT!!! I don't think it ever get better either. As for the pup... I'm so glad your gonna have him back soon! I'm sure he misses his family. I hope you have so much fun on this island. It's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keeping good thoughts for you! I would be so nervous to have someone else move our dogs.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!