Tuesday, November 4, 2014

That Time I Shaved My Head

The really cool thing about having a hairdresser as a good friend is that sometimes, Sunday dinners turn into haircut sessions. Not too long ago, said friend was over and gave my hair a trim. I loved it except for one thing: I hate my hair. Honestly, there is just too much of it, and it's too thick. On good hair days, my new do looked amazing, but mostly, it was trapped in a messy knot on the top of my head.

Finally, I decided that I needed to do something drastic and chop off a good chunk of hair. It's just too hot in Hawaii to deal with the mop that I was dealing with. After some searching, I discovered the undercut. A recently popluar version of this features the sides of the head shaved. I'm not that brave. Instead, I opted to shave the back of my head. It's much less noticeable, and I can cover it up by putting my hair down.


The sound of the clippers buzzing in my ear was terrifying yet exhilarating. I love how it turned out, and how much lighter my hair feels. Since this was a test run, I left the hair a little bit on the longer side. I think next time, I might shave it down a little lower and possibly get crazy with some of the designs I saw on Pinterest.

What do you think? Am I totally crazy?

15 comments:

  1. How convenient having a friend who is a hair dresser! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How does it look down? Can you even notice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have super thick hair, so I feel you. I cut it short in Okinawa cause it was always so hot and heavy. I don't know that I'd be brave enough to shave it though. I really wanted to do that when I was like 13, but my mom wouldn't let me. Dang moms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hair is incredibly thick, too -- so I feel your pain! And when its hot, its impossible to do anything with it other than throw it up in a messy bun. My old hairdresser used to shave the wisp-y curls I had at the base of my neck, but I've never gone higher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is an awesome idea! I have thick hair, and I am so tired of dealing with it during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! And since you can't notice when your hair is down, only you can really tell the difference. My best friend did the shave the side of the head thing a few years ago, it was so cute. Chris gave me the death stare when I said I'd totally rock that. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so brave -- and I think you definitely rock the look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it'll be helpful to have less hair! I would probably let it grow in a little to experiment with before shaving the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! And it will feel so much better in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a brave soul! It took me 25 years just to get 10 foils of highlights on my head & a professional cut (both of which I just got last week!) that being said, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my sis has done it and she loved it. I personally couldn't do it. Props to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know those girls who whine about not being able to gain weight no matter what they eat? Yea...that's the equivalent to having too much, too thick hair (Bahahaha says a girl who desperately wants to have big hair ala Carrie Bradshaw circa 1998, but who has very fine hair instead...)!

    The shaving is such a brave statement to make, but as long as you're confident about it, it totally works! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, you are BRAVE - I don't think I could do this haha

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!