Wednesday, October 1, 2014

If I Had A Million Dollars

Although I know I won't be able to stick with it for all 31 days and there are going to be days where I want to blog about other stuff, I decided to give #Blogtober14 a shot. I probably won't still won't post on the weekends, and if I have something off-topic to talk about I'll more than likely do that instead.

The Daily Tay

The topic for today is, "If I won the lottery I'd..." First of all, it all comes down to how big of a lottery I'm winning. Are we talking $325 million or the $3 million that the Florida lottery hands out every Wednesday and Saturday night? Either way, this is more or less how it would go. Oh, and let's forget about those pesky taxes for the sake of this post.

I'd start out by paying off the mortgage on our house in Georgia, and buying a property for when John retires from the Army. Obviously, we could do bigger and better things with a larger chunk of money, but even a couple hundred thousand would be more than enough for a chunk of land in the Caribbean. Sidenote: Johnny watches way too much HGTV and all these house hunter shows.

Next, I'd drop a large chunk of change in each of the girls' college and savings accounts. Ideally, each account would have enough to pay for four years of college, and we'd let that money sit there and accrue for the next 14-18 years. The same goes for their savings accounts. Currently, each kid gets a set amount of money sent to their accounts monthly. If we could make a lump deposit, the money would have more time to grow, leaving the little ladies with far more money for weddings or cars or whatever. John would insist on depositing to our own retirement accounts, so that would be next.

I'd love to spend part of my winnings on filling my new home. Kitchen gadgets, extra fluffy luxury towels, clothes to fill my massive walk-in closet.

Now that I've bore you with the materialistic things, I'll move on to some donations. First, cancer. Cancer scares the crap out of me. After seeing how quickly and horribly it can affect a person, I would pay anything to see cancer wiped out. Johnny would insist on donating to his fraternity, Phi Gamma Delta. I'd give more to the USO. As a military spouse, I can't think of a single organization that has done as much for family as the USO.

In the end, if I had enough left over, I'd buy my dream car. It's not any good for hauling around three car seats, but it would be perfect for cruising around a tropical island with the Hubster.


7 comments:

  1. Nothing for Phi Mu?? I would totally endow a scholarship in my name at Alpha Gam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely put lots of money aside for my kids too. It's interesting to see that so many people have the same sort of ideas when it comes to spending their "winnings".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paying off bigger "debts" is definitely at the top of my list, too. Mainly my college loans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to win the lottery. Nice car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, it's fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh if only I could win the lottery.....ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I love thinking about what I'd do if I won the lottery. Such a pipe dream for me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!