Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cleaning Out My Closet

You know how they say that mothers forget the pain of child birth? I'm not sure if that's completely true, because honestly, I'm still traumatized by the birth of my littlest nugget. But, the concept definitely applies to the torture of unpacking boxes. Jeez, I had no idea that setting up our new home would be such a pain. I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact that we've collected so much crap along our little journey as a family, and we keep adding munchkins, but damn! We have a lot of crap! I don't ever remember unpacking being so difficult in our previous moves.

I finally got around to opening up the boxes that said, "master bedroom, hers, clothes". It was a bit of a challenge, considering that currently, my "walk in" closet is tiny. I need to make a trip to Lowe's to pick up some additional shelving. In the mean time though, I had to get rid of a bunch of items that have probably never even been worn, in order to make space for the stuff I actually use.

I got a bit of a kick out of a few of the pieces that I've held on to for far too many years. I'm not even close to being done opening all of my boxes, and I know many more embarrassing clothing choices await me. Don't worry, most of these gems ended up in a donation box.

In case there's a take-your-spouse-to-work-day
There were several like this. Some were half the length.
I admit, even though I graduated high school almost 10 years ago, I couldn't get rid of this one. 

Fake designer purses, anyone? I have TONS!
There was also a top, if you could call it that, that I couldn't even take a picture of. It was more like a bikini top with an infinity scarf around the neck. Needless to say, it wouldn't cooperate on a hanger, and really just looked like a small piece of bunched up fabric. I kept it classy back in the day. 

I was surprised by how satisfying purging my closet felt. I've kept many of these things for a while just in case I ever need them for a dress up party or something like that. Guess what, Alex..?! We're not in college anymore. I'm loving the small amount of empty space that I have, and can't wait to fill it with new grown up clothes.

Anyone else as bad as I am when it comes to parting with old clothes?


Love, Alex

Visit my wonderful sponsor:

13 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, take your spouse to work day. Love it. And I clean out my closet every few months (and get rid of like one or two things). I'm way too good at justifying keeping things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALWAYS tell myself that when I have to clean out my clothes and I'm having trouble letting go…. "Just think, if you get rid of this then you have a reason to go shopping!" It makes it so much easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I LOVE the first pair of shorts. But yeah, I know how that is, there are always those few pieces where you're like 1) what the hell was I thinking and 2) why on earth do I still have this?! That's the best part about moving, you get to purge out all of that weird stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I've had to force myself to get rid of clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA!!! OK I have to admit I still have both my high school and college cheer uniforms, but they are packed in boxes. I clean out my closet more often than most people I think. I am constantly going through all the clothes in this house. My husband tells me his closet is off limits. He is the hoarder in the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Husband and I just did some purging of clothes too. I can't believe some of the stuff I kept! They were sent to Goodwill. I would totally keep my cheerleader uniform though if I was in it. That's sentimental!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to clean out my closet. It's scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to clean my out. I unpacked the clothes on hangers and put them right in the closet. I didn't even look at them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, do I know that feeling! I finally purged my closet at the last house we were living in {and probably need to do it again} but there were so many stupid things in there! Sweatshirts I hadn't worn since high school, but was still carrying around with me. Tshirts that had shrunk in the wash and yet, I just couldn't let go of! And don't even get me started on the shoes I had "collected" that had collected more dust than anything. Most of which I had never worn! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely keep the cheer leading outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it funny how our styles change? I swear things I buy look so much cuter on the hanger than on my body!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha! love this post! im so glad i saw this- im currently going through my closet and am OVERWHELMED! have so many clothes from HS and college still.. EEK! its hard to let go. lord have mercy i had so many fake bags too and so many "sexy" clothes from high school that im like ... whyyyy i would never wear this now! hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this blog post! I just posted it on my website with the comment that on one of my many moves I decided to purge my closet. I found the weirdest collection of '80s clothes. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!