Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Carnival Liberty - Exotic Eastern Caribbean - Day 5

It turned out to be a beautiful day in Puerto Rico! The weather was overcast with occasional random sprinkles here and there but it was perfect to explore. We may have died if it had been sunny out.


As we exited the cruise port, we made a left and headed towards the coast. Our goal was to walk on the path to El Morro and do some exploring there. It turned out that the path was closed so we  back tracked a a block and made it that way. I'm not going to lie, some of the neighborhoods were rather sketchy. But, we made it alive and with both kidneys. Silly me. I had read about a free trolley on Cruise Critic but completely forgot until we were already at the fort.


The price admission for El Morro was $3 but you could buy entrance to both forts for $5, which is what we did. Usually I have no interest in the whole history thing but I loved touring these fort. There was so much to look at and the structure was beyond impressive. After a few hours, we hopped on the trolley (with the crazy driver who was trying to kill us) and rode to the other fort, Castillo San Cristobal.


Castillo San Cristobal was even more impressive than El Morro. The walls are kind of built into the hills. It was just beautiful to explore.  I was extremely happy with paying the $5 and touring our selves versus a guided tour. There were enough placards everywhere that guiding and reading yourself was enough.




Before heading back to the ship, we wanted to grab some good Puerto Rican food. There was this little restaurant/bar called Punto de Vista almost just across the street from the port. OMG it was good!! I had been craving mofongo the whole trip and theirs definitely lived up to my expectations. Especially since it had skirt steak in the middle. I ordered churrasquitos which were steak stuff burritos. Hubs and I shared this Puerto Rican rice that neither of us had ever had. It was rice and beans with sweet plantains cooked in.


Thankfully, there wasn't a huge line to get back onto the boat this time. At least not for us. I guess we made it back early enough to avoid all that.

I can't remember what we had for dinner this night but I do remember that they were serving Bitter and Blanc for dessert. I wish it had been available on more nights. It was probably better than the melting cake. I'm sure if I would have asked, they could have made it available but I didn't want to be that person..

IF you'd like to see the rest of our cruise days, click below.

Carnival Liberty - Exotic Eastern Caribbean:
  • Day 1 -Leaving Miami
  • Day 2 - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas
  • Day 3 - Day at Sea
  • Day 4 - St. Thomas, USVI
  • Day 6 - Grand Turks, Turks and Caicos
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!