I don't know how or why I started making Key Lime pies, but during our time in Georgia, it became the famous dessert between my friends and I. So famous in fact, that one friend requested it as one of the first things he wanted when he returned from Afghanistan. After a while, I got kind of sick of making it every weekend. Since it's been a while, I figured I'd make it for dessert this weekend. It's a light and refreshing dessert, perfect for warm evenings. I'll be making it again next weekend when aforementioned friend visits us in Missouri.
- 1 9" Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- 1 Egg White
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 1 14oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3/4 cup Lime Juice (it can be fresh squeezed from Key Limes, or the bottled type)
- Start by preheating your oven to 350.
- If you like your pie crust nice and crispy, brush it with egg white and bake for about 10 minutes. If you like a nice chewy crust, skip this step.
- Combine your egg yolks and Greek yogurt/sour cream in a large bowl. Make sure to do these two first to avoid getting chunks of yogurt/cream later on.
- Add the full can of condensed milk and mix well. Just try not to add to much air to the mix since it will cause bubbles.
- Add your lime juice LAST. The lime juice will cook the eggs and thicken the mixture, so you don't want to do this until it's all mixed. You can use more or less juice to your liking, but I find 3/4 of a cup to be the perfect amount. Half a cup of juice results in a slight taste of lime.
- Tap the bowl on your counter a few times to help push out all of the bubbles. The bubbles don't make a difference, but I prefer my pie to be nice and smooth without little holes in it.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Just make sure there isn't any change in color.
- Allow to cool slightly before placing in the refrigerator. Keep refrigerated.
Hope you enjoy this! I prefer to use regular lime juice, but you get the same result with actual Key Limes or their juice.
Don't forget that you can still vote for me daily in the Top 25 Military Moms competition.
Check out my fantastic sponsor: