Wednesday, March 20, 2013

It's Good to Be Back

Traveling with kids is no joke; it's stressful and exhausting. I now know that I won't attempt to take a vacation with the kids for a couple of years, because it won't be a vacation at all. Even with all of my preparation, it felt like things still didn't go how I had planned. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible, and it definitely could have been much worse, but it just wasn't a vacation.

Overall, we had a good time in New York. When we arrived Friday morning, we drove around a bit and headed over to New Jersey to visit the areas where Hubs had lived and grown up. Friday evening was the wedding rehearsal which followed a good amount of drinking at the hotel bar. The wedding on Saturday was spectacular. Good food and a great atmosphere. Sunday morning we headed to New York City for a bunch of touristy things. And Monday we flew back home.



On Friday and Saturday night we stayed at The Thayer Hotel at West Point and Sunday night at the Element in Times Square. The Element was fantastic!! The Thayer Hotel, not so much. Hubs and I, along with the other friends in our group were extremely disappointed by the quality of Thayer, considering the price. But that's  whole other post!

While in the city we visited the 9/11 Museum and the memorial itself. If it hadn't been so cold, I would have liked to stick around and explore some more, but with the wind and everything, it was too much for the babies. Oh, and of course my camera refused to work while we were at the memorial, so I only have cell phone pics. Although, I was able to do a panoramic photo of one of the fountains.


We road the subway, which along with most of the rest of the city, wasn't very stroller friendly, had great Chinese food, and visited the Empire State Building after dark. We used this cool app called Uber to get ourselves around with SUVs that work pretty much like taxis, but more sophisticated. You use the app to hail your private vehicle and pay afterwards. There is also an option to rate your driver. It's a really cool app, but really only available in major cities.

Empire State Building & our anniversary

Although I hate Georgia summers, I'd take them over New York winters any day. I'd love to visit New York again when it's warmer and probably without kids. I really can't complain though. It was a good trip. Considering we were in the city less than 24 hours, I'd say we were able to do a lot.

What are your must do's for New York City?


post signature

3 comments:

  1. I just love New York! I'm glad you guys had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad y'all had some fun, but sorry that it didn't go as good as you had planned. Hopefully your next trip is a little less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've stayed at the Element ~ Christmas 2009 ... I was pregnant {didn't know it and drank like a fish!}
    Sounds like a great trip but traveling with Rey is exhausting and you have more than one!
    Go girl!!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!