Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Helicopter Mom - Letting Go

Lately, I'm not a huge fan of going to the park. It's hard to take two little ones during the summer because there are always kids that are too damn old to be playing on the playground and it's just so hot! After reading a blog of a mom who had a toddler around the age of mine, I realize that I might do a bit too much hovering at the park.

I chase after the girls, mostly Adri, to try to keep them within arms reach. Especially when they start to climb on something high or wobbly. I've come to realize that I really need to sit back in the shade and give them their space to play with other kids.

Last week when we went to the park, I did a pretty good job of avoiding being a second shadow to the girls. There was one time that I needed to intervene because Adri was getting too high and the only way down was a huge slide or backing down the stairs (which she doesn't do too well with). I hope to make some more park visits this summer and leave the girls to do their thing.


I also tried to be pretty hands off at Six Flag over the weekend. This meant that Adri got to go on a few rides completely by herself, and V went on more than I count. From what I can tell, they both had a blast!


Today, I'm linking up with Raising Reagan, and her Letting Go Series. If you're a mom, you should try linking up. For next week, I'm going to try focusing on what she posted about today. Bed time.

Check out my fantastic sponsor:

8 comments:

  1. It's hard when you are watching your child do something that could potentially hurt them and the park is exactly that setting. And yes, those kids that are too old for the park but decide to swing on everything and be huge pain in the asses for moms with toddlers, ugh!
    It's amazing how quickly the kiddos surprise you at the park. They tackle things that you are hesitant about but they end up being amazing at it. Great job mama!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's hard sometimes to let go and let them have a little freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time letting go. It's definitely hard and something I've been trying to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm a new reader! I completely agree with you. It's so hard, especially at parks where older kids are running around like crazy playing tag and not paying any attention to the fact that there are very young children nearby! At this point the park is way more work for me than relaxing but it's worth it to see their smiling faces! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Raising Reagan and must say I know this feeling all too well. I have two little girls, who are almost 4 years old and a little over 2 1/2 years old. I find myself doing the same at the park at times. My older girl has no fear, but the little one is afraid of her won shadow, so I think that is why I hover more, because of this. But do try my best, but then again somethings are just so hard to let go and can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to let go, I am always shocked at the things my kids can do when I let go. :)

    I'm going to try the link up for next week though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I have such an issue with the park. Mostly because my youngest thinks he can do everything his older sister does, and he's just not that big yet. Only 18 months old, and still a little clumsy. But also a daredevil. And it never fails, no matter what park we are at, they always have some structures with huge openings at the top for fireman poles etc. THATS what gets my heart racing -- because he'll try and step out on his own. I have learned to just sit back and relax at places like the McDonalds Playcenter ... but the playground? I still hover ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter is 6 months old and I took her tk the park yesterday and saw all the children running around. I had a mini anxiety attack at the thought of her being out of arms length. I'll have to take a cue from you... Relax and sit in the shade... Haha love it!

    Ashley
    Www.laughingatlifeblog.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!